Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Fwd: HAITI-day 4



---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tom Chowattukunnel <nivnithzak@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 5:58 PM
Subject: HAITI-day 4
To: HOME <nivnithzak@gmail.com>
Cc: SINDU <sinliz67@gmail.com>


HAITI-day 4

No H2O dripping on my head this am.For breakfast had a bun with margarine,coffee and oatmeal spiced with anise.During breakfast,I was plunked by a falling mango.It landed on my feet and I sustained a very minor bruise.

There were lots of Haitians outside waiting on us this morning.It made me think of a dam about to break,with the patients being the water.I think we saw hundreds of patients.Some even had to be turned away.At one point there was a bit of a ruckus,when a group of patients tried to cut in line by moving a bench forward and occupying it.Helicopters flying overhead caused a pseudo-hurricane effect and almost blew away the makeshift sunshades over our exam areas in the courtyard clinic.During a short lunchbreak I had spaghetti with catsup sauce and sliced hot dog pieces.

After clinic a group of us took a walk to the town area.We spoke with some US Marines posted there.The marines are a resource for help with supplies and transporting critical patients.We visited the local hospital(Notre Dame),which I believe is run by Cuban doctors.Took a few pictures of quake-damaged buildings.

After a leisurely bucket bath,enjoyed supper of rice(AGAIN).Side dishes were sliced hotdog stew,bean sauce and Haitian lobster with onion stew.Yes eating lobster here seems illogical,but I wasn't about to complain.I think it was purchased from local fishermen.

There were a few tremors today.I felt the one in the morning.I must have been too busy to notice the afternoon tremor or maybe I thought it was vibration from a passing copter.Last night after going to bed,I had to pee.When I jumped down off the top bunk,I apparently made somewhat of a thud.The doctor sleeping in the adjacent lower bunk awoke with a start,thinking there was a tremor.I told him I was responsible for the noise.He seemed skeptical and asked,"Are you sure?" Then he went back to bed and I peed outside under a palm tree.Speaking of noises in the night,there are several champion snorers in our tent,myself included.

I wrote most of this at the  rear end of our compound,which is by the ocean above the beach.As I hear the waves crashing ashore with increasing intensity,I hope that Haiti never gets hit by a tsunami.



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment