Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Fwd: HAITI-Day 3



---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tom Chowattukunnel <nivnithzak@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 5:58 PM
Subject: HAITI-Day 3
To: HOME <nivnithzak@gmail.com>
Cc: SINDU <sinliz67@gmail.com>


HAITI-Day 3

Woke up at 615 to drops of H2O(condensation) falling from the roof of the tent onto my head.Breakfast was a banana,bread and coffee.Took a "taxi"(sat on the back of a motorcycle)
and tried to find a Catholic mass.The local church was destroyed by the quake.Found the ?convent where an outdoor mass was held,too late mass  was over and no more today.Well,at least I tried.

Today was exhausting.Not only did I see a steady stream of patients with ocular complaints,but I also saw other cases.I helped treat a young boy with a femur fracture(broken leg) and later a man with a broken lower leg.(open tibia/fibula)There were several  serious pediatric cases,some may not survive.After a long and difficult labor,a baby girl was born.She initially had respiratory distress,but is doing fine.By the way,"pussee"is Haitian Creole for push and was chanted often during labor.When I heard that and looked at
Dr.Swan's view during labor,I almost laughed.



Lunch was a 15 minute affair,a small peanut butter sandwich and juice.Supper was rice and beans with an optional chicken soup sauce and potato salad.Good food and 7-up to drink.

Later at 745 we gathered under the 2 huge mango trees for a prayer service.This included hymns and a bible passage,one about serving others."Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers,that you do unto me."So far,nobody has been injured by the occasional falling mango.

Am falling asleep,good night.


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment